Topics

early 25in OS maps

Mike Brereton CCS member 1446

I'm looking for an 25in OS map of central Bradford (sheet CCXV1_8) from around 1870 for some genealogy research. I have one from 1893 from NLS but need to go back a few more years to check some street names which had been demolished by 1893. Does anyone know if an earlier version exists and is so where?
Thanks, Mike Brereton

Jeremy Harrison

Have you seen https://www.old-maps.co.uk ? If not, probably worth checking.

Jeremy

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 07:36 PM, Mike Brereton CCS member 1446 wrote:
I'm looking for an 25in OS map of central Bradford (sheet CCXV1_8) from around 1870 for some genealogy research. I have one from 1893 from NLS but need to go back a few more years to check some street names which had been demolished by 1893. Does anyone know if an earlier version exists and is so where?
Thanks, Mike Brereton

Tony Jervis

A quick look.  1852 6-inch and 60-inch. Letter appears to have whole of urban area of the time.  Nothing then listed until 1890s.  A subscription (or a good magnifyingglass) may be necessary to read road names on 6-inch map.

Tony Jervis.

On 11/08/2019 19:50, Jeremy Harrison via Groups.Io wrote:
Have you seen https://www.old-maps.co.uk ? If not, probably worth checking.

Jeremy

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 07:36 PM, Mike Brereton CCS member 1446 wrote:
I'm looking for an 25in OS map of central Bradford (sheet CCXV1_8) from around 1870 for some genealogy research. I have one from 1893 from NLS but need to go back a few more years to check some street names which had been demolished by 1893. Does anyone know if an earlier version exists and is so where?
Thanks, Mike Brereton

Richard Oliver

The OS 1:2500 of 1893 is the earliest at that scale; the previous large scale OS survey was in 1848 at 1:1056(5 feet to 1 mile) - which may be rather early for you! A number of even larger-scale plans of various districts of Bradford of c.1855-82 are held by West Yorkshire Archives (Bradford). There is a good collection of street maps at Bradford Central Library, Local Studies section.

Richard Oliver

On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 at 19:36, MIKE - G8ALE <mxb@...> wrote:
I'm looking for an 25in OS map of central Bradford (sheet CCXV1_8) from around 1870 for some genealogy research. I have one from 1893 from NLS but need to go back a few more years to check some street names which had been demolished by 1893. Does anyone know if an earlier version exists and is so where?
Thanks, Mike Brereton

Mike Brereton CCS member 1446

Thanks for the replies. Can't find anything on old maps site and 6" doesn't have all the roads at that scale. Think there may be one at Bradford library but it's a two hour drive so wanted to be sure it exists before making the journey. Mike Brereton

Mike Brereton CCS member 1446

Hi Richard, most useful information. It seems a trip to Bradford may well be worthwhile. Thanks for your help. Mike

Dave King

If you are going to the Bradford Library you could see if they have the Post Office Directory of Bradford from the 1870s. They were issued quite frequently and came with a town map. There are several directory publishers including White's, Harrod's, Kelly's and Pigott's, most came with a map.

Dave.