Topics

sticky Charles Close Society members sub-group

Lez Watson 438

Edited

The Charles Close Society was founded in 1980 to bring together all those with an interest in the maps and history of the Ordnance Survey of Great Britain and its counterparts in the island of Ireland. The Society takes its name from Colonel Sir Charles Arden-Close, OS Director General from 1911 to 1922, and initiator of many of the maps now sought after by collectors.

Society members take part in regular visits to mapping organisations and map libraries at home and abroad, with a varied programme of meetings, including the ever-popular annual map market.

Membership  of the sub-group is open to all Charles Close Society members, some with a professional interest in maps, others current and former Ordnance Survey staff, students, amateur collectors and many who simply love OS maps.

If you would like to join us there just send a message including your membership number and you'll be in. I may take a while to do as I have to do this on my PC.

John Isles

Lez,

I am not sure what subgroup you are referring to, but I hereby apply for membership. I am a member of the Charles Close Society but I have no record here of my membership number.

John

—————————————————————————————————————

John Isles

Hanover, Michigan (but currently navigating with OS maps in Sussex)

From: <main@ordnancemaps.groups.io> on behalf of Lez Watson <lez@...>
Reply-To: <main@ordnancemaps.groups.io>
Date: Monday, July 22, 2019 at 4:09 PM
To: <main@ordnancemaps.groups.io>
Subject: [ordnancemaps] Charles Close Society members sub-group

The Charles Close Society was founded in 1980 to bring together all those with an interest in the maps and history of the Ordnance Survey of Great Britain and its counterparts in the island of Ireland. The Society takes its name from Colonel Sir Charles Arden-Close, OS Director General from 1911 to 1922, and initiator of many of the maps now sought after by collectors.

Society members take part in regular visits to mapping organisations and map libraries at home and abroad, with a varied programme of meetings, including the ever-popular annual map market.

Membership  of this subgroup is open to all Charles Close Society members, some with a professional interest in maps, others current and former Ordnance Survey staff, students, amateur collectors and many who simply love maps.

If you would like to join us there just send a message including your membership number and you'll be in.

_._,_._,_

Rob Wheeler

Rob

On 22/07/2019, Lez Watson <@watsonlv> wrote:
The Charles Close Society was founded in 1980 to bring together all those
with an interest in the maps and history of the Ordnance Survey of Great
Britain and its counterparts in the island of Ireland. The Society takes its
name from Colonel Sir Charles Arden-Close, OS Director General from 1911 to
1922, and initiator of many of the maps now sought after by collectors.

Society members take part in regular visits to mapping organisations and map
libraries at home and abroad, with a varied programme of meetings, including
the ever-popular annual map market.

Membership  of this subgroup is open to all Charles Close Society members,
some with a professional interest in maps, others current and former
Ordnance Survey staff, students, amateur collectors and many who simply love
maps.

If you would like to join us there just send a message including your
membership number and you'll be in.

David Andrews

Lez Watson 438

John. All done.

Lez

AJS Hall

Mark

JM Lancaster

thank you,
John

On 22/07/2019 16:09, Lez Watson wrote:
Membership  of this subgroup is open to all Charles Close Society members, some with a professional interest in maps, others current and former Ordnance Survey staff, students, amateur collectors and many who simply love maps.
If you would like to join us there just send a message including your membership number and you'll be in.

Sue Rumfitt

674CM

Sue Rumfitt FIPROW
Sue Rumfitt Associates,

On 22/07/2019 16:09, Lez Watson wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Membership  of the sub-group is open to all Charles Close Society members, some with a professional interest in maps, others current and former Ordnance Survey staff, students, amateur collectors and many who simply love OS maps.

If you would like to join us there just send a message including your membership number and you'll be in. I may take a while to do as I have to do this on my PC.

Rob Wheeler

Lez
Yes please.

Rob

On 22/07/2019, Lez Watson <@watsonlv> wrote:
[Edited Message Follows]

The Charles Close Society was founded in 1980 to bring together all those
with an interest in the maps and history of the Ordnance Survey of Great
Britain and its counterparts in the island of Ireland. The Society takes its
name from Colonel Sir Charles Arden-Close, OS Director General from 1911 to
1922, and initiator of many of the maps now sought after by collectors.

Society members take part in regular visits to mapping organisations and map
libraries at home and abroad, with a varied programme of meetings, including
the ever-popular annual map market.

Membership  of the sub-group is open to all Charles Close Society members,
some with a professional interest in maps, others current and former
Ordnance Survey staff, students, amateur collectors and many who simply love
OS maps.

If you would like to join us there just send a message including your
membership number and you'll be in. I may take a while to do as I have to do
this on my PC.

Graham S

1308 😊

Graham Spencer

Rob Pearce

Lez I've been a member of CCS for over fifteen years, what is this subgroup, what are its aims?  If you need it for other admin reasons my memno is 890.

Rob Pearce

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 at 16:09, Lez Watson <lez@...> wrote:

Lez Watson 438

Hi,

The aim is to provide a safe place where we CCS members can chat and air our views on any topic we like. It is still independent from the CCS.

The sub-group was suggested to me off-topic when I was setting up the group. The mods and I see it as an experiment.

I've sent you and invite, Rob.

Lez

Lez Watson 438

Invite done.

Lez

Jerry S

Jerry Stampfer
Kingsley House
Parracombe

North Devon
EX31 4PE
01598 763531
07890 438890
jerrys@...

Jon Risby

Thanks

Philip J Hall

Yes Please.

Phil Hall

On 22 Jul 2019, at 16:09, Lez Watson <lez@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

John F

Yes please. John Fowler 501

David Purchase

Yes, please.

David Purchase, 856.

But I am a bit puzzled about the difference between the CCS sub-group and the main ordnancemaps group.  Could you please explain this to me.

All the best,

David

Scanned by McAfee and confirmed virus-free.

Lez Watson 438

The aim of this sub-group is to provide a safe place where CCS members can converse on any topic we like - including non-OS matters and life as we know it.

The sub-group was suggested off-topic when I was setting up the main group. The mods and I see it as an experiment. The response in these first couple of days suggests that we may have 'a goer'.

NB. It is still independent from the CCS. The official online Society presence is now, of course, on Facebook (facebook.com/groups/charlesclosesociety).

Lez

Peter Hirons

Peter

From: main@ordnancemaps.groups.io <main@ordnancemaps.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lez Watson
Sent: 22 July 2019 16:10
To: main@ordnancemaps.groups.io
Subject: [ordnancemaps] Charles Close Society members sub-group