Re: Seventh Series variations

Richard Oliver

The answer is very simple: shortage of money and drawing staff. The original intention in c.1952 was that all the handlettered sheets would be converted to letterpress style on full revision. In 1960-61 the hand-lettering was indeed wholly replaced by letterpress on three fully-revised sheets - 78, 94, 95 - but for some while thereafter only damaged or superseded names were replaced - hence the patchwork appearance, which had been very puzzled when I encountered it on 111, B, as an 11-year-old in 1965!

Richard Oliver

On Sat, 16 May 2020 at 11:27, Devon Park via groups.io <devonparkbedford=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
I hesitate to raise what will appear to main in this august group as a facile question - but here goes.

I have read Richard Oliver's highly comprehensive booklet on the Seventh Series. It explains in great detail the intricacies of the various printings.

I may well have missed it, but I have a simple question: Why print a map with different lettering on the same sheet?

I am referring to the HL designation in column 7: Style of Sheet.

Why not wait until a uniform style could be achieved? What was the rush?

My my layman's eye it just looks cack-handed, unprofessional, the very qualities I would have thought the OS would want to have avoided.

I'm looking at OS143 B which has different lettering all over the place, but the same applies widely.

Robin Chrystal

Join main@ordnancemaps.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.