Re: GSGS numbers

Richard Oliver

I am wondering if these lists from GSGS 2001 upwards are in a form that could be put on the CCS website? A decided minority of these numbers apply to OS mapping adapted for military use, or drawn by OS on behalf of GSGS, and a larger number were printed either by OS, or by civil firms on behalf of OS.

I have used the Lithographic Room Day Book: it is not the most straightforward of documents to interpret! It should be borne in mind that quite a few GSGS series have 'disappeared', in whole or part, and may either be represented by a few chance survivals in private collections - or have vanished completely! (anyone out there got a GSGS 2525 lurking in the attic? Well, thought I'd ask...)

Richard Oliver

On Sun, 10 May 2020 at 21:29, B Anderson via groups.io <b.anderson135=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Following on from Andrew Cook’s comment, I took photographs of a couple of pages from the Lithographic Room Day Book when at TNA investigating the possible origin of Gerry Zierler’s “Mystery Map”, I am happy to supply copies of these as there are additional reference numbers.  However, at least in the sections I consulted, the book simply records the production of proofs and there is a note on the fly leaf stating Entries in this book are not to be taken as evidence that stock was printed.  In the section I copied most of the maps recorded are for areas outside Europe.  Although, there are also some unreferenced items, e.g. Aeroplanes for Home Forces.

Bernard

On 8 May 2020, at 09:37, John Davies <john@...> wrote:

Richard Oliver has a partial list of GSGS numbers in Military Maps (CCS, 2004).  Does anyone know of a more comprehensive list available to us locked-downers?

John

Join main@ordnancemaps.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.