Re: GSGS numbers

Dr Andrew S Cook CCS #5

The Defence Geographic Centre (MoD) Map Library maintained a tabular listing of its holdings of GSGS maps by Jewitt number, and developed this in 2000 by continuing the list in tabular form from 2001 to 3999.  This latter list was circulated to UK Copyright libraries and to certain other map collections.  I know Gerry Zierler was to be sent a copy because I was present at the post-Warburg-lecture supper that year when Gerry asked for it and Peter Jones agreed to supply it, and because I have my own copy.
These lists were superseded later by the DGC listing, by number, of its holdings of GSGS (ID, IDWO, TSGS etc) maps from ID1 to GSGS 4413, done in the context of the transfer of their collection of superseded GSGS maps to the British Library, where it formed the collection now known as ‘MOD Archive’.  The late Ian Mumford was, naturally, instrumental in advising on the disposal of holdings of GSGS maps, and his copy of the list to GSGS 4413 is item IM_416_2 in his collection in the CCS Archive at Cambridge UL.
Maps representing many GSGS numbers in the early 3000s, as First World War maps, had earlier been transferred from MOD to the Public Record Office, and so are not present in the list.  Of some utility in chasing fugitive GSGS numbers is the 1902-1961 Military Survey Lithographic Room Proof and Transfer Day Book, copies of which may be in hands of some CCS members.  The original is now TNA WO.408/16, and Ian Mumford’s photocopy is item IM_416_1 at Cambridge.
None of these, I regret, have the graphic indexes which were the subject of the original enquiry on this list.
Andrew Cook

.

On 10 May 2020, at 11:17, Lez Watson 438 <lez@...> wrote:

HI,

Another source for military mapping is "Maps for Empire. The first 2000 numbered War Office maps 1885-1905" compiled by A. Crispen Jewitt. Published by The British Library 1992. (ISBN 0 7123 02727).

Regards

Lez

Join main@ordnancemaps.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.